8851 West Higgins Road
Chicago, Illinois 60656
(Funeral arrangements can be made through the Cathedral office)
A Catholic Cemetery is a sacred place — a continuation of one’s profession of Faith and Belief in the Resurrection. As people of faith, our burial grounds have a special place in our hearts and minds, showing respect for what God has created.
Just as all Catholic Cemeteries, St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Cemetery is a reminder to us of the love, fellowship and faith that we have shared with our deceased family members and friends.
St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic parish was established on January 28, 1906. Shortly afterwards, the first burial took place on April 2, 1906 at a secular cemetery because the “forest” on Higgins Road was not purchased until 1925, for $10,000.00. The cemetery services the funerals from the Ukrainian Catholic parishes of St. Nicholas Cathedral, Sts. Volodymyr & Olga Church, St. Joseph the Betrothed Church on Cumberland Avenue in Chicago, IL, Immaculate Conception Church in Palatine, IL and the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church in Palos Park, IL.
In the early years, the land purchased for the cemetery seemed vast. One section was used for burials and the larger area was used for picnics where there were food and dancing facilities. This soon gave way to just burial ground after World War II when so many Ukrainian immigrants came to Chicago who were displaced from their homeland.
On June 30, 1940, a Memorial Cross was built in the center of the burial grounds commemorating the 950th anniversary of the Christianity of Ukraine. Liturgies were celebrated on various occasions and Memorial Day in front of the cross where an altar was erected.
At the present time, there are approximately 8,300 burial lots — 90% occupied. The space is limited. Therefore, in 1994 under the auspices of Most Reverend Michael Wiwchar, CSsR, the Bishop of St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy (Diocese) in Chicago a mausoleum was erected. Blessing of the mausoleum took place on Memorial Day, May 27, 1996. Capacity for entombment is 470 crypts and 112 niches for cremains. Half of the crypts and niches have already been sold.
Space is reserved for an addition to the mausoleum and steps have been taken to acquire much needed land.
- Hits: 5109
8851 West Higgins Road